Holistic’s essential MIPIM checklist
After a year or two away for many, MIPIM is back in a big way and looking to drive conversations under the umbrella of its Better Places – Greater Impact – Stronger Business theme.
Our industry has faced challenging periods over the last few years, but we’ve also shown resilience and come together on pertinent issues like climate change, diversity and inclusion, and improving our built environment for the sake of people’s health and wellbeing.
MIPIM is one of the only times in the year that so many people gather from different sectors, organisations, and backgrounds to discuss and debate challenges and opportunities. We hope that we can use the time together to make progress on these issues.
But right now, you’re probably thinking about what to pack and how to make the most of your time away, so here’s a checklist we’ve perfected over the years.
- Business cards – plus a pen to note where you met!
- European plug adapters and a portable charger for while you’re out.
- Medicines – Alka Seltzer, multivitamins, Berocca, blister plasters, plus any of your own essentials.
What to pack and wear
- Shoes, shoes, shoes – comfortable ones that’ll see you from day to night!
- Workout clothes and trainers – start your day with a morning run in Cannes and you’re likely to meet some new contacts. There are also some fun sports and wellness events you can get involved with during the week, so it’d be a shame to miss out on the fun because you forgot to pack the wrong gear.
- Sunglasses and sun protection, although we know some great shops along the Cote d’Azur where you can buy a new pair…
- Layers as the temperature can drop in the evening.
- Be open-minded – you’ll meet a wide range of people at MIPIM so approach everyone with an open mind and remember that not everyone finds networking comfortable so may need help coming out of their shells.
- Be accessible – speak to as many people as possible, and don’t assume that because someone is junior, younger, or from a company you’re not targeting, they aren’t worth your time.
- Eye contact – an obvious one, but there’s nothing worse than talking to someone who’s looking over your shoulder.
- Keep it simple – you don’t have to go in with a big pitch as soon as you meet someone new. Ask questions, listen carefully, and get to know people.
- Names – remember them! It’s professional, polite, and goes a long way.
- Share insight – there’s a lot of talk before MIPIM about themes, projects, who’s going, and what to expect, but the real magic is what happens while you’re there. Remember to make notes and share some insights with your network during the week or once you’re back. Not everyone has the opportunity to attend MIPIM and your insight is worth something to those back home.
- Stay on top of the news – MIPIM News reports on the latest news, project developments, and companies attending. It’s worth reading while you’re out there.
- Get in the bunker – visit stands, watch talks, and check out your international counterparts. It’s easy to get caught up with the events happening outside of the main venue, so make a point to visit the main conference.
And finally, remember to relax. Every MIPIM is a unique experience so make the most of it. If you want more advice or tips, check out our Maximising MIPIM blog.